Friday, November 06, 2009

When I'm Sixty-Four

When I was young I was called a rugged individualist. When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric. Here I am doing and saying the same things I did then and I'm labeled senile - George Burns





The charity I work for on Fridays (Help the Aged) has recently merged with another (Age Concern) and early next year will be rebranded as Age UK.  Today I read through the notes sent to each shop manager and was interested to note that good old political correctness was at the heart of the information.  When addressing anyone over the age of ?? (when is old? -  50? 60? 70?) the term 'aged' is a complete no-no as are: 'senior/senior citizen', 'pensioner', 'old person', 'wrinkly' and 'old git'.  The team organising this marketing excersise polled a number of these, erm, whatever they're called who promptly told them that they didn't want to be categorised at all.  So now, staff and volunteers working for Age UK have to use the term 'those of later life'.  Sounds vaguely like a slimming club to me.

What a lot of nonsense!  Why can't we call them 'people', which is what they are?  I know 'cos I'm five of them.  I'm a person, I'm old, I'm a pensioner, I'm wrinkly and, very often, I'm a git.   But I'm still the basically the same as I've ever been.  So treat me accordingly.  So there.

PS:  I knew I'd reached the age of no return when the lady in the Post Office said to me in a very patronising tone:  And what can I do for you today, young lady?   I'M OLD BUT NOT STUPID

PPS:  Perhaps I'm not over the 'flu yet - I'm very grumpy anfd I can't find the words I want

No comments: